City Title(s): City Planner
Department: Land Use/Planning Department
Job Description: Administers Comprehensive Development Plan through effective implementation of the planning (subdivision and Plan of Conservation and Development), zoning, and wetlands programs and land use controls; to manage, supervise and coordinate the activities and responsibilities of the Planning and Zoning and Wetlands staff.
- Directs the day-to-day operations and staff of the Planning and Zoning and Wetlands Department.
- Coordinates all activities and provides guidance, assistance and recommendations to the Planning & Zoning Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals, Inland Wetlands Commission, and the Architectural Review Committee.
- Evaluates, reports and recommends on the updating of the Comprehensive Plan of Development and elements thereof (i.e., zoning regulations and map, subdivisions).
- Evaluates and recommends updates and amendments to the Torrington Plan of Conservation and Development, in accordance with Sec. 8-23 of the Connecticut General Statutes.
- Prepares reports, recommendations and resolutions on subdivisions, rezoning applications, special permit requests and other development proposals, including recommended bonding amounts to insure integrity of completed work.
- Initiates and/or works with consultants on special studies and projects related to general land use, housing, transportation, conservation, recreation, rehabilitation and historic preservation.
- Provides the general public, city, state and federal agencies with information regarding Torrington’s development activities and policies.
- Manages all inland wetlands administration and enforcement activities under both state and local regulations.
- Initiates pre-submission staff review process of all major applications (inter-departmental review with regard to suitability and conformance of the plans to City regulations and each agency’s requirements),conducts pre-construction conferences with applicable city agents and developers prior to start of projects.
- Supervises staff in the implementation of state and locally mandated soil erosion and sedimentation control measures for development of approved projects.
- Administers Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Flood Insurance program; implements same through granting, modifying or denying permits within federally regulated Flood Hazard areas.
- Prepares annual department operating budget and Capital Expense requests; supervises administrative staff in the implementation of same.
- Attends meetings of the Planning & Zoning Commission, Architectural Review Committee and Flood & Erosion Control Board, and acts as liaison to other City agencies, boards and commissions.
- Meets with developers and other members of the public upon request.
- Prepares and presents all Commission-initiated concepts and changes to Zoning Regulations and maps.
- Directs Department staff in the implementation of land use enforcement.
- Directs the organization, management and preservation of all Department records.
Year of Employment: 1999
Other Roles - Boards, Commissions & Certifications:
- Certified Member of the American Institute of Certified Planners
- Certified Zoning Enforcement Officer - Connecticut Association of Zoning Enforcement Officers
- 2016 Lifetime Achievement Award Recipient of Connecticut Federation of Planning and Zoning Agencies for 25 over years of service
- 2016 NW CT YMCA Legacy Award Recipient
- Named 1997 Connecticut Statewide Inland Wetlands Agent of the Year by CT Association of Conservation and Inland Wetlands Commissions, Inc.
- Past President Connecticut Association of Zoning Enforcement Officers
- Charter Member of Connecticut Association of Wetlands Scientists
- Member CT Chapter of the American Planning Association, Currently serving on the Legislative & Awards Committees
- Past President and current member of the Board of Directors, Northwest CT YMCA
- EMHS Long Term Recovery Coordinator for Region 5
- Torrington's Long Term Emergency Management Coordinator
- Level II Certified Instructor Certification - Professional Ski Instructor Association
What do you like to do outside of work?: Traveling with my wife Janice as well as skiing, running, swimming, and photography.
Mini Biography / Personal Statement: I have been doing Planning, Zoning and Inland Wetlands work in the Northwest Corner of Connecticut for over 29 years. I have a real passion for skiing, seeking snow in the summer in faraway places such as Las Lenas, Argentina, Valle Nevada and Portillo, Chile. I have taught skiing at Mohawk Mountain, in Cornwall CT for over 27 years and enjoy a couple of weeks each winter skiing out west. (Always leaving my wife at home to deal with what is usually our biggest snowstorm of the season.) I enjoy photography and learned a little something about photography while training as a crime scene photographer/evidence technician in my former job as a Police Officer in the Detroit, Michigan area. My favorite photography subject is my lovely wife Janice. Born and raised in Detroit, Michigan I am a graduate of Wayne State University with a degree in Business Management. I am an avid runner, exercising with my running partners several times per week year round and competing in local road races primarily so that I can eat ice cream for dessert without suffering from a lot of guilt. I proudly serves on the NWCT YMCA Board of Directors and the CT Chapter of American Planning Association’s Legislative and Awards Committees. I currently serve as Chairman of the Goshen Fire Commission.
Pets / Pets Names:
Favorite Quote: "Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized." Daniel Burnham
Favorite Band/Music: Smooth jazz