Motor Vehicle Tax Bills

To pay a bill online, follow this link.

Motor Vehicles that were actively registered on October 1, 2020 at the CT Department of Motor Vehicles will have a motor vehicle property tax bill that will be due in full July 1, 2021. They will be put in the mail the last week of June 2021. If not paid in full by August 2, 2021, interest will accrue at 1.5% per month, with a minimum of $2.00, from the due date.

Motor Vehicles registered between October 2, 2020 and July 31, 2021 will be due and payable January 2022. Those supplemental bills will be mailed out in December 2021. **Please note, if you took advantage of the extended registration renewal past October 1, 2020 at the DMV due to a COVID-19 Governor Executive order, you will not receive a bill due for July 2021 but instead for January 2022.

Connecticut law requires all Connecticut residents with a vehicle registration, driver's license, or non-driver identification card to notify the DMV within 48 hours of any change of address. If you need to change your mailing address and/or tax town at the DMV, please go to the following link: DMV Address Change Form. You can then mail the completed form to DMV at 60 State Street, Wethersfield, CT 06161-5070. We cannot change your address here in the tax office. Please remember that if you fail to do this not only will you not receive future tax bills, but your registration renewal will not be forwarded by the Post Office.

If you need to cancel a registration please go to the following link: Registration cancellation. Once you have completed the on-line or manual Terminate Registration, please print the confirmation receipt for your records and contact the City of Torrington Assessor's office.

If you are paying your Motor Vehicle taxes late and you need a release for the Department of Motor Vehicles to register ANY vehicle in your name immediately, payment must be made in CASH in our office or with our ONLINE PAYMENT portal. There are fees associated with the online payment service we offer. See this link for more information. DMV's new online services no longer allow us to issue paper releases. See the following link for further information. To pay online, follow this link. Once there, go to the bottom of that page and follow the link entitled Pay Bills Online. No checks of any kind will be accepted for an immediate release. If you want to pay with a check, you will have to wait ten (10) business days for a release or prove to us that your check has cleared your bank by supplying us with a copy of the front and back of your cancelled check. ***Please note, the online payments made through our partnership with Invoice Cloud will be released in two business days. Please call or email our office if you need an immediate release [call (860)489-2209 or email]. Releases do not occur automatically at the DMV.***


If your motor vehicle was:

  • sold
  • repossessed
  • totaled
  • donated
  • stolen
  • registered out-of-state (if you have moved)
  • taxed in wrong town

**If you are moving, especially out of state, please refer to the DMV's website for specific information on what to do with your CT license plates. Please follow this link to the DMV's website for more information. The most important date for registrations that are still active at DMV is October 1st of any particular year.

Please contact the Assessor's Office for more information at (860) 489-2222. Thank you.


Useful Links