Marriage License Worksheet:
Where do I apply for a Marriage License?
- You must apply for the license in the town in which your ceremony will occur.
- Both the bride and groom must appear in person at the City Clerk's Office with proper identification
- Blood tests are no longer required
Documents to bring with you:
- A valid government-issued photo ID, such as a passport or driver's license
- Both parties must be at least 18 years of age unless the Probate Judge where the parties reside gives consent after a parent or legal guardian submits a request.
Length of time the License is valid:
- The marriage license is valid for 65 days from the day it was issued and can only be used in the town where the marriage ceremony occurs, specified on the marriage license.
Cost of the License:
- The cost of the marriage license is $30.00
- Acceptable forms of payment are Cash, Check, Visa*, Discover* or Mastercard*
- (* a 3% or $.90 surcharge is added to credit card payments)
Who may join persons in Marriage:
- All judges and retired judges either elected or appointed
- Family support magistrates, state referees and justices of the peace who are appointed in Connecticut (Click here for a list of Justices of the Peace)
- All ordained or licensed members of the clergy belonging to this state or any other state.
How to obtain a Certified Copy of a Marriage Certificate:
- In person at the City Clerk's Office, OR
- By mail with a $20.00 check or money order made payable to the City of Torrington, and stamped, self-addressed envelope. Be sure to include your phone number in case we have a question.
What to do if you're in a hurry for a marriage certificate:
You can send your request via overnight delivery. Include your payment and enclose a return overnight envelope with it. Fax and Email requests are no longer accepted per State mandate.