Effective March 18, 2020, the City Clerk’s Office will be open to the public by appointment only until further notice.
Please note the following:
- Land Records: Each day’s recordings can be viewed on the city’s website after 24 hours, dating back to January 1963. Prior to that date, please call the office; we will attempt to assist you.
- Recordings: Please mail your recording(s) to us at 140 Main Street, Torrington, CT 06790. If needed, call (860) 489-2236 to schedule an appointment.
- Sportsman’s Licenses You may procure your licenses online at www.ct.gov/deep/hunting. If you do not have a printer, we will be happy to print and mail the license to you once payment has been made via the on line option. If you are entitled to a free license, call us. We will process the license and mail it to you upon request.
- Dog Licenses This is considered a low priority item and we respectfully request that this wait until we have resumed normal operations.
- Liquor Permits This is considered a low priority item and we respectfully request that this wait until we have resumed normal operations.
- Absentee Balloting Presidential Preference Primaries are June 2, 2020. Ballots will be available starting May 12th. Please process your application entirely through the mail at this time. https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/SOTS/ElectionServices/ElectForms/electforms/aabengpdf.pdf?la=en
- Notary Public Service This service is suspended until we have resumed normal operations.
- Vital Statistics Copies of birth, marriages and death certificates will be processed through the mail only. Please visit the City Clerk’s website at www.torringtonct.org/city-clerks-office/vitals for the application and instructions.
- Marriage Licenses Please call the office to discuss. (860) 489-2236
- Filing of Death Certificates Please call the office and we will come out to collect the death certificate. We will then process and return it to you as directed. (860) 489-2236
- Agendas and Minutes are available for review online at www.torringtonct.org.
- All Other Concerns Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (860) 489-2236. We will assist you as best we can.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through this crisis together.
The City and Town Clerk has full legal responsibility for ensuring that the official records of the city are filed, cataloged and maintained in accordance with State Statutes, the City Charter and local ordinances. The duties include recording land transactions, filing and maintaining town maps, site plans and surveys, issuing dog and sports licenses, and recording vital statistics which include birth, death, and marriage certificates as well as burial and cremation permits.
The City Clerk is the Secretary for the Board of Council, the Board of Safety, the Board of Finance, the Board of Trustees of the City Employees' Retirement Fund and the Board of Trustees of the Police and Fire Pension Fund. The office is responsible for generating notices and agendas, recording the minutes of the above Boards, and maintaining the minutes for all Boards and Agencies of the City.